Oranienbaum is famous for its mid-XIX century landscape parks. The Tsar family
founded here a summer residence in 1743. The initial ensemble with a petite palace
was constructed to the design of architect A. Rinaldi. Later, A. Rinaldi was
commissioned to erect the Chinese palace and the Sliding Hill with a pavilion.
The architectural style of these monuments is distinguished by the subtle blend
of elegant rococo style with traces of classicism.
The following palace-museums are available to visit: the Chinese palace, the palace
of Peter III, the Sliding Hill pavilion, the Japanese pavilion of the Bolshoy
(Menshikov) palace, exhibition halls in the Kavalersky block and the Chinese Kitchen
pavilion, an exhibition in the central building of the Bolshoy (Menshikov) palace.