The palace was given its name because marble of 32 sorts was used in its facade
and interior decorations. It was built in 1768-1785 by the architect A. Rinaldi.
This palace was given as a gift to Count Orlov by Catherine the Great for his
successes in service for government.
Now it is a branch of the Russian museum where contemporary exhibitions take place.