The name of the church commemorates the victory of the Russian fleet over the
Turks at Chesma in the Aegean sea in 1770. The church was built to a most unusual
design. A Western style spire rises above each of the church's four apses pointing
to the four main compass points. The exterior decoration of narrow white vertical
mouldings, terminating in small pointed arches, make Chesma a rare example of
XVIIIth century Russian gothic.